how to pay road tax for non karnataka vehicles

Now this time me and my friend wanted to pay the road tax for his bike. So we went to the kormangala – bangalore RTO office and we faced a lot hell problems.

I just let you know what to do , then I think it will be easy to you all to do all these crap things.

Find your area RTO office : first you find your area RTO office in bangalore you have 5 RTO office as jayanagar, kormangala, indranagar, rajajinagar, yashwantpur.

what you should take : you must have

  • NOC from prev state
  • invoice of the vehicle
  • some money to pay tax
  • you should know kannada
  • if you do not know, some of your local friend.
  • address proof of your current location.

now what next ?? : now that is done,
—- If your vachile is 15 months old then you have to pay the entry tax also. That you have to do it in the another office. For that you have to go to any area CTO office. There you have to pay the entry tax of the vehicle.
—– If your vehicle is not 15 month old then also you have to go to the CTO office and you have to claim for the excemption for your tax and that you will get from the tax office of the particular area and that form will come in a week.

the final war : now you have the all the things and the entry tax filled then you have to take your vehicle to that RTO office and pay the road tax and then they will give you slip by that for next 11 months you can ride your vachile in bangalore.

Later you can claim for new karnatake number. So after 11 months if you wish yo can get karnataka number.

This was the whole procedure, to pay the road tax and do the whole crap things. Please you have any updation let me know, I will update that.

***** OPTION II ***********

Edited on Sep 15, 2010
As per the comment from This option is not available.

You pay your road tax Bangalore one centers. @

where are all the bangaloreone centers are @

How much you have to pay the road tax – the calculation lies here. —

***** OPTION III ***********

Today in one of our forum reply i got one link which says not to pay any tax in karnataka. Please have l look. Since this post was written 3 yrs back so there will be more changes.
link to check –

I think this will help you. If you have any things else what I am missing add the comment so other people will get help. 🙂

Updated on 21 Jul, 2010
Just got a good to read thing from my friend. Something good to read all about bangalore traffic.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,



  1. Posted September 12, 2006 at 1:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Good information. But seems that south India having all together different rules. Its really redicullus. I transferred by Bike from Bhopal To Delhi and faced no problem as such over their even though my bike is in Police custody for two days and then I got it back from court.

    Now I am moving to Hyderabad from Bangalore but mistake i did is I bought a vehicle in this fucking and sucking state.

    • NITESH
      Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

      Can you tell me the proccess you follow in delhi for submitting road tax when you had shifted from bhopal to delhi because some one told me that there is no proccess for submitting road tax only in delhi, i have to re-register in delhi and take new number ,

      • munish
        Posted July 29, 2009 at 1:08 am | Permalink | Reply

        Dear Nitesh,
        Your source of information is absolutely wrong. There is no need to have your vehicle re-registered in Delhi and even you don’t need to pay any entry tax.
        In case if you want to spend money for no cause you can go for reregistration. This just sucks your time and money and practically not at all a mandatory thing.

    • XYZSDF
      Posted September 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

      May be the whole will change except the bangalore…In different places I saw the beggers requesting for money..Here the real beggers are Traffic police and all other organizations who are really sucking the money from different people… I want to bring my bike to bangalore…By seeing these Traffic police, I am getting feared that with no reason they will catch us and collect money…Useless Bangalore…This will never get change in future…Fu….g Bangalore….

    • Giridhar
      Posted December 23, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

      If Bangalore and Karnataka sucks, why don’t you consider getting out of Bangalore. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

      • Don
        Posted January 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

        Bangalore / KA is part of India. Dont boast why are in bangalore… Bangalore has good IT development not for any good reason but only due to good weather condition & which is just natural gift…otherwise go and check other part of India, what is call road, infrastructure and other development….If you just ask to considering moving out of bangalore, then may people are already doing now. Bangalore is already losing it charm which was due to other people coming from other part of India not from any local people..

  2. charan
    Posted September 19, 2006 at 1:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

    really helpful information…

    one doubt … is NOC really required for paying karnataka road tax ??
    & what is approx amount of road tax for bike ??

  3. Posted September 21, 2006 at 10:23 am | Permalink | Reply

    yes, NOC is always required. This is just like you we move from one school to another school and we have to submit the transfer certificate. OR when you leave the one company and join new and you have to do the NOC formality.
    The same logic will work here.

    • Ganesh
      Posted January 27, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink | Reply

      NOC is a fucking ass hole…….. any vehicle purchased in india should be allowed to ride anywhere in india……….because of all these corruptions india will never improve

      • dpn ctl
        Posted March 25, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

        hey we cant do that, cos, if the seller’s vehicle is some litigation in a state and runs away to another, on the long run its a prblm to the buyer, we being responsible, probably we cant hide ourselves, but others do a this is a rule for our betterness

      • shankar
        Posted October 7, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink | Reply

        ur absolutly right… this officers looking money they never change……

  4. Anup
    Posted September 26, 2006 at 4:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

    This is really a great information

  5. sachin
    Posted October 25, 2006 at 6:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

    i also paid the DELHI registeres Bike road tax in bangalore.
    But there is no need of NOC.
    They required NOC if you want to change your registration number also.
    if you want to keep ur old registration number then only you have to paid arount 3000 Rs. for a life time tax.

    • Sathish
      Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

      Hi Sachin

      I have bought a new vehicle in tamilnadu and registration also over. Now I am planning to move it to bangalore. My doubt is NOC required to pay road rax in bangalore. How much I have to pay. Pls provide your contact number to get clarification.

      • Ganesh
        Posted April 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

        Dear Satish,You dont need a NOC to pay road Tax in Bangalore,unless you want a Karnataka Registration No.

  6. chanakyan
    Posted October 31, 2006 at 7:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

    very useful info. may I know what is arrear CTO office? is it different from other CTO offices? If possible pls give address/landmarks of the one that you went. Becoz i am currently in the process. i have brought my bike from Tamilnadu to Bangalore. Thank you again !

  7. Prashant Sinha
    Posted November 1, 2006 at 8:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Can somebody please let me know whether i will have to pay entry Tax if my Car is just 5 month old. I cam eto know that i will have to pay entry tax and raod tax, even though my Car is just 5 month old.

  8. srikanth
    Posted November 2, 2006 at 2:36 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I bought a wagon r in Noida, currently i am working here incase my co. decides or I decides or co. decides to me send to b’lore on transfer to take care of there local office there. Whether I have to pay road tax & registration changes to paid in b’lore.

  9. Posted November 2, 2006 at 7:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

    yes, you have to pay the entry tax and road tax in karnataka also. this is what I know.
    I just advise you, go to these office with your any kannada colleague else you will in trouble.
    If your car/bike is new ( 15 months ) then is ok, else you have to pay the entry tax that is for sure.

  10. Debasis Dash
    Posted November 5, 2006 at 9:25 am | Permalink | Reply


    I wnt to take the bike from Chennai to Bangalore. Mt bike is only 5 months old.. Wht are the tax i have to pay and where to pay.. i m confused wht is he amount of Entry Tax here in bang. Please help me out regarding this matter..
    If any body ind enough then please tell me over . 9900576548.

    In Advance Thank U.

  11. frustoo
    Posted November 16, 2006 at 2:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I paid the road tax just 2 days back. I too hv heard that NOC is required ONLY in case of change in registration number. I dont want to change the Maharashtra number so I just paid road tax for lifetime. For address proof n stuff u either need ur aggrement copy or a letter from ur company. I didn’t hv both n dont want to f**k my head doing all these babugiri. I dont understand (and probably dont want to understand) kannada also. As per my expectation the agent cought me in the door of RTO office only. He asked me to give him INR 600 extra for getting the work done in less than 30 mins. But Gandhigiri bhoot was in my head, so thought to fight by myself. I went inside n after watchin the frustrating babugiri thr I changed my mind and let myself cought by another agent.
    The road tax is 2640 and I paid the agent 3100, but got my work done in literally less than 30 mins. Thanks to corruption. India is really shining n will shine more as it will get more n more corrupt. I m still feeling guilty for encouraging corruption, but I was helpless. For the tax of around 2600 I paid 500 extra, it comes around 20% of the amount. The rates r predefined from clerk to police. Thr r basically two ways of paying tax in KA, 1) do all the formalities by urself in ‘kannada’ 2) hire some bloody agent n bribe the bloody babus.

    • samuel
      Posted February 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

      can I have you contact .. i want to do the same

  12. tired
    Posted November 21, 2006 at 5:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Can someone let me know where can I find the rules for calculating the road tax in Bangalore / Karnataka for a second-hand car originally registered in another state?

  13. Posted November 23, 2006 at 12:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi, this is sudhakar . i faced lot of problems in reregistration, i am sharing with you people.

    I am basically from tamilnadu but i worked in bangalore. because of my marriaged fixed, so i settled back in chennai. i have a bike which is registered in bangalore (what u say is karnataka registration). after i settled in chennai i plan to use the same bike in chennai, i share u what are the problems i faced (everything thru agent):

    1.I got NOC from Yeshwanpur (i paid Rs.2500)
    2. I approached agent in my native (villupuram of tamil nadu) (i paid Rs.3000)
    3.Again they gave 2 forms to get sign (one is to confirm in chennai arumbakkam criminal bearu of Transport, they have to confirm there is no theft case on this bike, and another is to be confirmed by the RTO who issued the NOC that NOC issued by them is correct) (I paid Rs.100 +200)
    4. Again i paid Road tax Rs. 2400

    all courier charges Rs, 100

    Sudhakar E

    • vikash
      Posted July 10, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

      I guess you could have better sold the bike in Karnataka.

      • shivaji
        Posted September 1, 2011 at 2:17 am | Permalink | Reply

        like ur answer..
        thats true..instead of paying bribes to all these ass ****.we could have sold n get a new one.its tensen free

  14. Prashant Sinha
    Posted November 30, 2006 at 1:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

    My Car is from Haryana and i wanted to pay the life time Tax in Karnataka.In case i want to drive this Car in Bangalore without NOC, what do i need to do? This Car is just 6 month old.

  15. Nitinn S Pawar
    Posted December 11, 2006 at 3:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi prashant

    i have a similar situation like car is from agra(up) and i want to pay up the lifetime road tax in banglaore. i have done some research on the RTO. First of all you don’t need to get any NOC until and unless you want to change the registration number from the origin state to karnatka or anywhere else and second condition is you want to sell your car to some one in karnataka or anywhere else.

    You can drive your car in bangalore by just paying the lifetime road tax and with your original state’s registration number. if traffic police catches you , just show them the road tax you have paid and there will be no issues.

    You can refer to the folllwing website for latest details about car tax rates in karnatakae.

    Hope this helps 🙂


  16. Mr X
    Posted December 12, 2006 at 2:15 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I had a terrible experience few days back… It might not exactly be relevant here… But since it is related to the topic, I put this here to bring to light some stunning factors I noticed…

    I visited Bangalore recently… When I was there, I and my friend were traveling in a two-wheeler (which was not a Karnataka State registered vehicle), through Outer-Ring road. We were stopped by a GUY (who acted like a traffic cop), who was standing along with some other traffic cops… The GUY, I mentioned above was dressed in civilian dress… He also had a 10-12 year old boy along with him (just to communicate with non-Kannadigas in English)…

    My friend stopped his bike, when he was asked to. But the GUY came in a hurry and took away the keys from the bike… We had to go behind him, asking why he did so… As a reply, he just demanded us to show the Driving License and Karnataka State Road Tax. Unluckily my friend had brought his vehicle a week before from his native, and hence could not get time to pay the Karnataka tax. We told this fact to the boy, since the GUY could not understand English… The boy and the GUY had some conversation and the reply we got from the boy was “Do you want the bike to be taken away, and later pay the fine in the court and take back the bike, or are you ready to settle it here now?”

    I was stunned to hear such a dialog from a 12 year old boy’s mouth… I thought, the boy is being given proper education on how to survive in tomorrow’s India…

    In the end we had to bribe the GUY with Rs. 100 (even though we knew that giving bribe is also a crime as is accepting bribe, but the situation demanded)… Instantly the GUY accepted the money and gave back the keys…

    This is not the only incident I have faced in my life… If the crimes are growing widely at this pace, then definitely our country will be coined “Bribe’s own country” instead of “God’s own country”… Great going Karnataka… Great going India…

    Isn’t it high time we react to this? Everyone in the world is born for some reason… Why not our reason for living be fighting against the crime?

    When people who are responsible for fighting against crime, themselves are doing the crime… It is we who have to take some step to fight against it… Only brave hearts are welcome… Let us join hands and wipe off crimes…

    Mr X

  17. Ganesh
    Posted December 20, 2006 at 1:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I am basically from Maharasta.I have bike with me having MH registration number.
    I want to paid the Road tax only.Can anybody tell me how to do that?

  18. Mandeep
    Posted December 28, 2006 at 12:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi friends

    I am new to blore.Need some information on road tax.I have a car more than 15 mnths old. Is there any provision here to pay yearly tax and not for life time. and how much expected tax i need to pay.please please reply

  19. Posted January 9, 2007 at 1:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi guys,

    jus to show ma frustration im typin this…in this f**kin place if u don know kannada ..really f**kd yaar…kannada “maathaadi maathaadi” we ll get f**ked…
    i jus remembering “APNEE ILLAKKE MEIN KUTTA BHI SHER BANTHA HAI”….all the officers who takes bribe are f***rs ,bastads or ll b having more than one father….work hard and earn BASTADS..
    dont be a pimp for ur own mother(INDIA)..

  20. rohit
    Posted January 17, 2007 at 3:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Guys same case with me
    I m frm Mahrashtra n want to transfer my bike of karnataka reg to hyderabad i wan know the things that i need to do in andhra pradesh

  21. Saifi Khan
    Posted January 18, 2007 at 10:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Rohit:

    When in Hyderabad, You need to do the following at RTO office at Khairatabad.

    1. Visit the welcome counter and collect the form for Road Tax.
    2. Fill it up and visit Counter no 7.
    3. Pay the amount in cash (preferably) and collect the receipt.
    Please make sure that you are in RTO office before 12 noon.

    The RTO folks are friendly, speak hindi/english and don’t ask for bribe. I am from Pune and paid Road tax for my bike. For the first time, visit to RTO was a pleasant experience.

    More details are available at

    Saifi Khan.

  22. rohit
    Posted January 19, 2007 at 12:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

    thanks very much Saifi

    bcoz in Karnatka it was a very bad experince with RTO
    especially the language problem..

    One more thing how much tax i ve to pay
    bcoz i ll not be there for lifetime…

  23. Ganesh
    Posted January 22, 2007 at 10:53 am | Permalink | Reply

    Hello All,
    I am in a big trouble now.On 15th Jan. it was holiday.I does not have any idea about the holiday.So I went to the RTO office for the Road Tax purpose.Their I meet one person who introduced him self as Mohd.Asif a RTO agent.He request me to give him the Money and the document.Initially i was not ready.Since that guy is totally unknown to me.Thwm We went to one Shop in the same complex.The Shop owner told me that this guy is RTO agent and don’t worry He will do the work.After that I give money and the document to that guy.He told me that he will be in my office next day with the Road Tax receipt.
    I was waiting for that guy for last week .But no reply for him.So last Saturday I went to RTO office ….at that time I came to Know..that Mohd. Asif is Fraud……..
    Now what can I do?Anybody Help me?

  24. Ganesh
    Posted January 22, 2007 at 11:13 am | Permalink | Reply

    I know that was my mistake.But Since I already suffer from many problems related to Road Tax So I believed on that guy.I also have a receipt from that guy which indicate that I already paid money to him.He given me in a written .If anyone came to know about Mohd.Asif don’t believe on him..He is FRAUD….

    I does not what the same things repeat into the future so I put my bad experience here since to repeat a mistake is CRIME…….

  25. rahul rai
    Posted February 7, 2007 at 10:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

    The General Manager,
    HUYNDAI Motor India Ltd

    Dear Sir/ Madam,
    This is to inform you that I have purchased on 8th January 2007 a Santro car XL Model from Prestige HUYNDAI, Jabalpur. The registration are still pending.

    During purchase, I mentioned that it would be a gift to my sister who eventually is going to stay in Bangalore after her marriage. And the registration would be done from Bangalore only.
    The particular term comes in the picture is “Entry Tax”. As for being a layman we didn’t have idea about the amount of entry-tax (12.5% of Ex-show-room price, that is approx 45,000/- in this case). If informed earlier, we did buy the same from Bangalore only……………

  26. rahul rai
    Posted February 7, 2007 at 10:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

  27. KK
    Posted April 4, 2007 at 8:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Good info. What is the Road tax for bike for 11 months and Life time. The reason why I am asking is because the agent said for 11 months the tax will be 2650…

  28. Chan
    Posted April 9, 2007 at 4:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

    For Karnataka RTO related queries Visit –

    I found it useful and hopefully you will gain a lot of information on the overall RTO operations and procedures. Check out the FAQ section which explains a lot of topis in clear. Can help you take your case forward in a confident way.

  29. Ankur
    Posted April 24, 2007 at 5:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi guys, I will be going to Bangalore for 6 months for my Internship. I have a bike with a Delhi Registration which I want to take to Bangalore. Will I have to pay any road tax for the 6 months time that I am in Bangalore ? Plz help me.

  30. Naveen Kumar Lall
    Posted May 11, 2007 at 12:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Guys,

    I have got a bike in Bangalore carrying AP number. I want to get the NOC from AP, by sending the registered copy through post to the AP office as mentioned in the SITE.

    Can you please let me know if I need to pay / attach some DD for recieving this NOC

  31. saifi Khan
    Posted May 17, 2007 at 2:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Naveen:

    The safest bet is to go personally to RTO office in AP district and submit your application (it needs clearance from both Traffic branch and Crime branch).
    The folks in Crime branch donot work on 2nd saturday !

    Is your stay going to be permanent or few years ?

    Irrespective of the period of stay, if you “just” pay the life time road tax, you are legally entitled to drive the vehicle in the state.

    You donot require the NOC to pay the lifetime road tax !

    A NOC is required only when you wanted to change the registration number of a given state, for example in this case you want KA registration.

    The easiest approach is:
    1. Collect the form 14 from RTO office.
    2. Get the superintendent to estimate the lifetime road tax (you need to show him the vehice invoice document) and endorse on top of the form.
    3. If the amount is less than Rs 5,000, you can pay it in cash. Just remember the counter closes at 12pm sharp.

    Since the fom 14 is in kannada. Here is the technique to fill it.
    (D means dotted line, beginning from top of page).
    D1 : RTO bangalore
    D2 : blank
    D3 : Naveen Kumar Lall
    D4 : blank
    D5 : AP-reg number (eg AP 3Y 3456)
    D6 : Motorcyle
    D7 : Insurance company name
    D8 : Insurance policy number
    D9 : blank
    D10: blank
    D11: Bangalore
    D12(left): dd/mm/yyyy
    D12(right) : your signature

    That addresses the filling part !

    Hope this helps.

    Saifi Khan.

  32. babu
    Posted June 12, 2007 at 5:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I have an AP number bike and i am located in chennai. I was caught by polce and took a bribe of 150 bugs as i had no NOC. Can anyone help me how i need to pay road tax in chennai, i dont want a number change and hence dont opt for a NOC

  33. sajeev
    Posted June 20, 2007 at 3:08 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I would like to know the rules /provision which provides annual road tax payment provision for central govt. employees


  34. Sanker
    Posted June 28, 2007 at 3:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I have shifted my Two Wheeler from Tamil Nadu to Bangalore and Paid Lift Time Road Tax ( without NOC). Some of my friends are telling that eventhough the i have paid Life Time Tax, it is only valid for 13 months after that we have to go for NOC. I am confused.

    Whether LTT is ok for riding the bike in Karnataka more than 13 months…

  35. Posted June 28, 2007 at 6:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

    if you have changed your address at the time of filling road tax. then in some months you will get the new no. form the karnataka govt.
    so then no need to worry. change your bike no and enjoy. 🙂

  36. Pradeep
    Posted July 10, 2007 at 11:48 am | Permalink | Reply

    I live in Madhapur (Hyderabad). I’ve 2-wheeler motor-cycle (bike – Pulsar 150cc) with Tamil Nadu (TN) registration. I’ve following documents:
    a) NOC from TN RTO.
    b) Invoice of vehicle.
    c) RC
    d) Insurance paid certificate.

    I’ve following quires:
    a) What are the formalities need to be done, tax I need to pay in AP to ride this bike?
    b) Where is the RTO office where I can get information, form to be filled, tax to be paid?

    • nortsout
      Posted August 10, 2009 at 11:52 am | Permalink | Reply

      Google it.

  37. vipin shetty
    Posted July 11, 2007 at 6:57 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I recently had the bad luck to purchase a opel astra car which was being disposed off by my company, since my company has the headoffice in ahmedabad, the car was purchased in ahmedabad with a temporary registration and then brought to karnataka and registred in 2003 and LTT paid within a month of purchase.

    We purchased this car from the company recently for my brother when it disposed off 4 cars, This car was registered in indiranagar rto, when i submited the application for getting noc they told me the file has been transfered to the newly opened RTO in batrahalli (KR puram).

    So I went to batrahalli when i went there they asked my brother only to come to submit the application for NOC. he resides in pune, so he comes down and submits, three days latter they reject the application stating they need a authorisation letter on the company letter head for transfer of the car. So i ask the company for the authorisation letter and again submit for the transfer. They were suposed to give the clearance certificate within 3 days but now 7 days latter they ask me for the entry tax reciept and invoice please note this is a KA vehical which is already karnataka registered I just want to register in my name i am residing in Koramangala.

    I go back to my company to ask for the entry tax reciept, they object saying how come the other 3 cars which were sold got reregistered without any problems? Now me being the smart ass i am try to find the number of the PRO in charge of the batrahalli (KR Puram) rto surprise surprise the karnataka rto website does not have a telephone number for the Batrahalli RTO

    Now how did they register the vehical in june 2003 without the entry tax ?
    How did the other three vehicals get registered ?
    It is already a KA registered vehical so where does the question of entry tax exist ?

    vipin shetty

  38. Posted July 24, 2007 at 8:15 am | Permalink | Reply

    really healp ful information.but how many months validation of road tax.plese give informaton i am sufering with this bike. i am going to some driving school.there one person told to me it is valid life time. it is true.plese give me details

  39. Posted July 24, 2007 at 8:32 am | Permalink | Reply

    as I mentioned in my prev comment after some 11-12 monts you will get the new karnataka no. on the given address So put that no. and enjoy. you can live long in karnataka with you new no.

  40. venkatesh
    Posted July 25, 2007 at 7:29 pm | Permalink | Reply


    Read so many posts on vehicle re-registration in Bangalore. Don’t take all these head-ache. Just get it done through a broker, they just charge you 200-300 bucks, pay them and just relax. The tax receipt and the certificate will reach you in 3 days time. Use the receipt whenever you are caught by traffic police. But there its your luck to escape from them without paying a single penny 🙂

  41. Bala
    Posted August 6, 2007 at 6:32 pm | Permalink | Reply


    Before 1 year i was in Noida. Now i am working in Bangalore. I approached a broker(after 8 month was over here) to pay the
    road tax and change the registeration from UP to KA. He asked me 2500 Rs to complete all. I paid road tax with PENALTY.
    (I gave 2000+ Rs separately for this). I have already got NOC from Noida.(1 yr before i got NOC). The broker also delayed 3
    months. Now i have completed 1 year here. Initially he agreed to complete this task when i gave 2500 Rs to him. Now the inspection of my vehicle is over. I submitted all my original certificates to him. But now he asked me to get the NOC again in Noida Or pay extra money to him. Since he told me the validation of NOC is over here.
    (He made 3 months delay. 7 times i went to RTO office and around 30 calls i made for this ). I think 1 year is allowed to change the registeration no. If that case is true, then how NOC is over. Please let me know the validation of NOC certificate and suggestion for this.


  42. sameer
    Posted August 22, 2007 at 12:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi All,
    I would like to know is there any way to track someone’s profile by using the vehicle number?


  43. Santosh K. Patil
    Posted August 23, 2007 at 1:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

    HI to all,

    I gone through the all posts made by all of you and all seems to good and very usefull and thanks to all of you.

    I have one query I had worked in Gurgaon (Haryana) before and now I relocated to B’lore and wanted to use the my bike which is registered with HR. I want to change the reg to KA and also spoke with an one of the official in the RTA office but I didn’t get enough info about how to register bike in KA.

    Any one can help me out regarding following:

    i. I have NOC from RTO, Gurgaon and want to know the validity of NOC?
    ii. The RTO official asked me to pay the Entry tax and I am not able to find the entry tax office in B’lore. So, Can any one tell me the address/landmark/area of entry tax office?

    Thanks in advance..
    Santosh K. Patil

  44. sreenivas
    Posted August 30, 2007 at 5:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I am relocating to Banglore from Hyderabad
    I have a Pulsar byke , I bought it from ICICI bank
    I dont have Invoice for byke, I dont have Insurance for byke
    please lte me know if I can play Road tax with out having NOC and (Invoice &Insuranace)
    I want to keep my number , So I can directly pay the Life tax for Karnataka

    sudhakar TS

  45. srinivas
    Posted September 7, 2007 at 2:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi my name is srinivas.I brought my vehicle from hyderabad to bangalore.i domt have noc.what i have to do.

  46. Atul varma
    Posted September 10, 2007 at 11:31 am | Permalink | Reply

    No need for NOC if you are paying only road tax, your number will remain the same (AP).

    Just pay the tax at bangalore-one and if someone stops show them the Road Tax payment receipt.

  47. Neo
    Posted September 11, 2007 at 3:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Can anybody give me any Proper /Faithful Agent’s Number ?
    I dont have NOC, But, i want to pay the lifetime road tax only.

  48. vishal
    Posted September 12, 2007 at 3:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi guys i have been relocated to banglore.. i ahve to transfer vehicle from chennai to bangalore the bike is only 3 months old.. here lots of ppl are saying not to drive with TN registration number will there be nay problem if i continue with same registration number? or it would be better to change it, and wat r the procedures i have to follow here to finish all the formalities. i would be in bangalore for atleast two years. how much cost it ll be to finish all the formalities? plz someone help me out in this

  49. Narinder
    Posted September 12, 2007 at 4:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi everybody.
    nice information from all of you.i have a bike with punjab registration number. i dont have NOC from punjab. dont understand kannad or kannada whatever they say.i dont want karnataka registration number. i want to keep same number. my bike is 4 yrs old. going to stay here less than a year. can anybody tell me what i need to do to use my bike here in bangalore. and in case i have to stay here for more than a year than what should i do.feeling like i m in a different country.

    • chakkiat
      Posted December 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

      u have to pay the life time tax and keep the receipt along with you while driving the vehicle. nothing to worry if it is with you. n.o.c. is needed only if you are transferring your registration to kA

  50. Posted September 17, 2007 at 2:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi good afternon sir my name is prashantha kumar iam working in acenture call center i purched one new platina bike i collected the rc book & documents & i have dl what documents i kept the bike in case police is caching what are the documents i show them please send to my email.

  51. Posted September 18, 2007 at 7:33 pm | Permalink | Reply


    Very interesting information! Thanks!


  52. Nagendar Rao Linga
    Posted September 19, 2007 at 12:36 am | Permalink | Reply

    Hi – I am from Hyderabad and have got a new job in Chennai. What is the procedure to transfer my two wheeler that is 2.5 years old and has a AP registration.

    How much do I need to pay the RTA authorities here and what would be the validity.


  53. I Think No Need
    Posted September 26, 2007 at 11:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

    no need to pay road tax.. just scan ur friends road tax.. and just change the necessary numbers and take printout and take finally xerox.. tht’s all …

    it comes around Rs. 20-30 ( if u have money then pay 2500-3000 for road tax

    • Saurav
      Posted July 17, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

      Yeah this works great in other parts of the country, i know coz i have done the same for the insurance papers … 🙂 But bangalore is the IT CApital and these days the police over here are equipped by BLACKBERRIES !!!! so they just check all ur details online instantly.

      So then u get caught for forgerry as well …so if u want to move around without paying penalties, get the right papers once an or for all..


  54. Posted September 27, 2007 at 11:16 am | Permalink | Reply

    oh!! what a idea. 😦

    Here that is the diff in being an indian and good indian.
    taht is why we are more in corruption. 🙂

    Keep going dude, you have lot more things to do, this is very simple job to cheat for you. Think big and do more. LOL. 🙂

  55. Raj
    Posted September 30, 2007 at 3:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Guys,

    Recently i moved from Coimbatore to Bangalore with brand new scorpio 3 months,RTO in bangalore requested me to pay the LTT of 91040.00Rs & then to run the vehicle with original reg.No Noc reqd,No agents,Inspector himself filled form & got me the reciept at his office.
    Now i have two state permits !!!!.

  56. Neo
    Posted October 1, 2007 at 3:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I dont believe….Scanning and taking print out…etc…

    Will it be ok?

    What if Police catches ? What to tell him that we dont have original copy?

  57. Sas
    Posted October 2, 2007 at 11:29 am | Permalink | Reply

    is there a entry/octroi/sales tax for vehiles sold in other state, but getting registered in Karnataka

  58. Sachin
    Posted October 2, 2007 at 11:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Raj,

    you mentioned you paid 91040…. ninety one thousand for your scorpio? thats scary… almost one lakh for this pathetic road?

    Doesn’t it have some mid way?

  59. Sanjay
    Posted October 3, 2007 at 12:00 am | Permalink | Reply

    By the way in all ABOVE discussion i missed one point!!!!

    consider you are driving your car in Bangalore which has some other state registration..may be maharashtra or TN or AP… i mean nearby states…
    WHAT do POLICE COPS answer if you say ” We are tourists in Bangalore and just came here today morning”

    could any one please help if they have tried this or know about it?

  60. Posted October 3, 2007 at 12:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

    @sas : karnataka is most famous state for tax. here all the taxes are more.

    @sanjay : hey, that will work, even my friends have used this thing so many times, but other then this you have to gv him something that is for sure, since you are tourist and you wont spend the money. 🙂

  61. Venu
    Posted October 4, 2007 at 8:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Can any one tell me , on what basis they calculate the road tax for non- karnataka 4 wheelers in blore. I want to pay tax for maharastra registered Zen 2003 april model (3.1 lakhs original cost). I want to know how much it may cost?. Any pointers will be helpful.

  62. Saurabh
    Posted October 8, 2007 at 10:44 am | Permalink | Reply


    First of all you can get your road tax paid at Bangalore one centres. see here

    Location of bangalore one centres see here

    The %age of your ex-showroom price is used to calculate the RT. See here

  63. Bhargav
    Posted October 8, 2007 at 8:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi All,

    My friend have recently got a second hand bike which is registered in UP, We stay in Pune,Maharastra. He also has a NOC and all the required documents. Can anyone tell me what is the validity of the NOC. LifeTime tax was paid there in UP when the NOC was taken, is it needed for him Pay the Tax again here in Pune(Maharastra). Is there any website that explains all the rules and regulations of the NOC in Maharastra ? Is it really necessary for him to pay the tax again in Maharastra even after getting an NOC with lifetime tax paid already once ?

  64. Venkat
    Posted October 10, 2007 at 5:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Friends,
    I bought new byke from AP to Karnataka.I have Noc only i need to pay road tax my byke is 2months old i payed road tax (Life Time)in AP now how much i need to pay for Karnataka as Road Tax (Honda Unicorn 66000).if i pay only road tax will karnataka provides me the Noc when i want to move from Karnataka to AP

  65. Ravi B C
    Posted October 11, 2007 at 12:36 am | Permalink | Reply

    I have two wheeler registered in Thane,
    after my transfer to Bangalore, I had take a NOC fro RTO Bangalore, But I lost my RC book.
    Here in Bangalore, without RC book they are not taking the karnataka tax.I want to change my registeration to Karnataka, pls suggest.
    If any good brokers are there pls send me their cell nos.

  66. Karthik
    Posted October 18, 2007 at 5:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

    This is really a Very useful information. Thank you very much

  67. Sandeep
    Posted October 24, 2007 at 7:39 am | Permalink | Reply

    An agent told me road-tax=approx 8% of the price of the vehicle
    here in Karnataka
    can anyone confirm this please?

  68. Harsha
    Posted October 24, 2007 at 9:40 am | Permalink | Reply

    Looks like lot of outsiders who have come down to settle in Bangalore are venting their frustation on the local RTO officials.
    I accept that there is corruption, but I would like to tell one thing.
    In Bangalore, if you want official government work to be done. You should know local language or else take a friend along who knows the local language. If not, the local touts will make use of you and your hard earned money.
    Its always better to know a bit of local language irrespective of your mother toungue so that it helps to get your things done easily. otherwise it will just increase our BP n others 🙂

  69. shirish
    Posted October 29, 2007 at 12:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

    There is a mention of entry tax for vehicle more than 2 yrs old . what is the amount of tax and is there any link which gives details about the entry tax for cars

  70. Mahua
    Posted October 31, 2007 at 1:15 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I want to get my Maruti – 800 registered in Karnataka. I had purchased it in Pune, Maharashtra 2.5 years back. I am asked to pay Rs. 25k as Road tax for life time. Whats the minimum duration for which I can pay the road tax? Can it be 5 years or less?

  71. Sundar Raman
    Posted November 2, 2007 at 2:13 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I own a 100-cc bike registered in Tamil Nadu. But recently i got shifted to Bangalore and will be here atleast for another 2 years. Can anyone tell me the procedure and cost involved for

    1. Changing the registration number to Karnataka State?
    2. In case if i dont want to change the regn number, is it enough if i pay only the road tax and drive??


    • prasanna
      Posted September 29, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

      guys,if any wants to buy new bike or car at a lesser cost near it from hosur and register it in TN70 rto(hosur).police walas of bangalore won’t catch u

  72. Dev
    Posted November 12, 2007 at 12:23 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I just got Maruti WagonR( Jan 2006 model) RC book value 4,50,000 INR from Mumbai to Bangalore.

    I am not sure what all tax and how much I need to pay to drive the vechicle on Bangalore roads legally. Second, looking for ways to reduce the amount tobe paid, as Karnataka road taxes are too high.

    Your advice is appreciated.


  73. Posted November 14, 2007 at 11:15 am | Permalink | Reply

    hi can anyone tell me.i just got my bike from orissa 2 bangalore n its orissa registration num.n bike is just 2 months old.can anyone tell me how much i ve to pay for road tax.and i heard dat the RTO ppls r asking for bribes.den wt to do with this.

  74. vijay
    Posted November 15, 2007 at 6:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

    My one friend is using letterhead of the company for 2 years, stating that the person has come here for training and will be here only for four months. This way he says, no need to pay the tax. Is it possible?

  75. Posted November 19, 2007 at 8:36 am | Permalink | Reply

    My vehicle is originally registered in Maharastra.The age of the vehicle is 12 years.Now I want to registered in Tamilndiu.Now I have to pay the entry tax or not please reply.

  76. malvin
    Posted November 21, 2007 at 10:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Today, I had a bad experience with kannada police.

    I recently moved to Bangalore from Kerala. I had all papers ready except the karnataka road tax, being a new person here I have no time to enquire about it. Today when I was driving through bannarghetta road, a cop caught me and checked my papers. He told I have to pay Rs 2500 as fine. When I explained to him my condition, he was openly saying pay me Rs 500 and I will let you go. I was forced to give him the Rs 500 to save the consequences, since I did not have 2500 with me. Isn’t this a type of Highway robbery in day light ?

  77. malvin
    Posted November 22, 2007 at 5:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I think the above cop who was charging me Rs 2500 was charging too much, so that I come to his compromise offer of his Rs 500. I checked RTO site and the maximum fine I see there is 1000

  78. Preeti
    Posted November 28, 2007 at 11:44 am | Permalink | Reply

    I have a HR registration.
    I brought my car to Bangalore in 2001 and paid life time road tax.
    Now, I want to sell it and got an NOC from Haryana.

    Getting a Karnataka registration is becoming painful as they want me to get details of commercial tax paid in haryana…do i have to get that info or is it pure harrassment?.

    Not sure if there was an entry tax in 2001 and do we have to pay now for a vehhicle which entered the state in 2001?

    How much is the entry tax to be paid for maruti 800.

    My suggestion to all relocating for more than a year is NOT to bring their vehicles into Karnataka- its corruption and high taxes- doesnt make a new vehicle here

  79. Phani
    Posted November 28, 2007 at 5:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

    This is Phani. I recently relocated from Hyderabad to Bangalore.
    Im planning to bring my bike(Splendor) from Andhra Pradesh for a duration of one year. Could you help me to what should I submit to pay the road tax. First of all I want to know that Is NOC required because I dont need any registration. I want to continue with the old (Andhra Pradesh) registration only. Could you inform where can i get the required details.
    Thank You

  80. Posted December 5, 2007 at 7:24 am | Permalink | Reply

    i am planning to purchase a vechical from punjab and this vechical will be permanently in bangalore .does anybody know the approximate tax amount i need to pay (i dont want to change the vechical number)

  81. Preeti
    Posted December 6, 2007 at 2:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I would suggest you buy the vehicle in Bangalore

    Getting from Punjab may not be a good will need to pay life time road tax as well as entry tax …& all the hassle of RTO & CTO .

  82. Shashidhar
    Posted December 6, 2007 at 4:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi I have relocated from hyd to bangalore. I want to bring my bike .. whc is AP reg. Total how much money should i need to spend for this RTO approval…can any body say the rough estimation.. My bike is 7 yrs old..

  83. siree
    Posted December 14, 2007 at 12:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi,I have my 2 wheeler in hyderabad .I want to take it to pune so for that what are the steps i have to take.can anyone help me in this matter.

  84. Sivakumar
    Posted December 20, 2007 at 2:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Taken from the official RTO site.

    4.What is the procedure for obtaining change of address and transfer of ownership?

    The vehicles migrating from other States or other regions in the State are required to obtain Change of Address or Transfer of ownership as the case may be.

    The vehicle owner shall file an application for noting change of address within THIRTY (30) DAYS from the date of arrival and shall furnish the following:

    · Application in form CMV 33.

    · Application in form KMV 27 in case of migration from other States.

    · Application in form CMV 29 in duplicate and CMV 30 in case of Transfer of Ownership.

    · Proof of Address (Any one of the following )

    · Ration Card

    · Electoral Roll

    · Passport

    · LIC Policy

    · Pay slip issued by any office of the Central Government or a State

    · Government or a Local body.

    · Self swearing Affidavit by an applicant before an executive Magistrate or a First Class Judicial Magistrate or a Notary Public as evidence of address.

    · Prescribed fee and tax if any payable.

    · Registration Certificate (Fitness Certificate in case of Transport Vehicle).

    · Tax Card.

    · Insurance Certificate.

    · Clearance Certificate (CC) / No Objection Certificate (NOC) as the case may be.

    · Consent of the financier.

    · Pollution Under Control Certificate.

    All the related applications shall be filed before the Registering Authority and vehicle shall be produced for inspection in the premises of the R.T.O. in case vehicle migrating from other State.

  85. Rash
    Posted December 27, 2007 at 9:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Cha Gaye kakaji… coollllll

  86. selva
    Posted January 3, 2008 at 12:07 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi,i brought my bike(TN reg) from tamilnadu to bangalore and its 6 months old,when i enquired my friends thy said i can drive a vehicle in karnataka by paying only lifetime tax and NOC is not required for that.But some people told me that i cant drive without karnataka mark for more then 12 months…and they said for that NOC is must.guys help me i need NOC or can i manage with only roadtax(am planning to stay in bangalore for two years).

  87. Kiran
    Posted January 8, 2008 at 3:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi I am trying to bring my two wheeler from Andhra Pradesh to Bangalore. It is about 2 years old. I have arranged to bring the NOC also. But can any one help me the procedure after bringing it here. I do not want to change my registration and I don’t know how long I am going to stay here. Do I need to get entry tax if so where should i get it nd what is the address. What about the road tax I would like to pay the lifetime tax is it valid only for 12 months. Plz furnish me the details asap

  88. Posted January 8, 2008 at 7:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

    It is really helpful information


  89. h_shinnin
    Posted January 15, 2008 at 9:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Friends, Am planning to buy an old Jeep from TN and bring to Bangalore. I understand that I would have to pay a road tax = [9% x vehicle cost x 25%]; (25% for cars older than 15 years). Am wondering what should constitute the proof of “vehicle cost”? Would a handwritten invoice from the seller be okay?

  90. Sathyadeep
    Posted January 17, 2008 at 2:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Guys… I live in Hosur(TN). I visit Bangalore(KA) everyday for work . The cops are asking me to pay the tax even though I don’t live there. They say I’m unlike a tourist since I come everyday & so I should pay it.
    There seems to be no choice & I’m getting it payed.

  91. aaa
    Posted January 31, 2008 at 4:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

    how to pay road tax for outside karnataka vechicle..dont have invoice?

  92. Sathyadeep
    Posted February 2, 2008 at 10:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

    How old is your bike? I don’t think they insist on invoice if u’r vehicle is older than 18 months. The insurance certificate will contain the vehicle cost that is covered.

  93. Ravikanth
    Posted February 11, 2008 at 12:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

    great information mate..really useful

  94. Rejoy
    Posted February 18, 2008 at 11:16 am | Permalink | Reply

    great information thankyou u for all

  95. krishna
    Posted February 20, 2008 at 5:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi, Thank you for the detailed information. It is very useful and the discussion seems to be more helpful. According to my experience, NOC is not really required to pay the Road tax. Thanks again for taking time to share these informations.

  96. Vijay
    Posted February 28, 2008 at 5:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I paid my 2 wheeler Road tax in one of the RTOs in Bangalore. They are asking for the following:

    1. NOC
    2. 3 Photographs
    3. Bangalore Address Proof
    4. Form 14, Form 27 and Form 33
    5. Insurance
    6. RC Book
    7. Emission
    8. Existing Road Tax certificate
    9. Invoice/Purchase bill if the vehicle is bought after 2003 (They themselves will calculate for vehicles bought before 2003).
    10. Vehicle Inspection (which will be done only between 10.30 to 1.00)

    I tried to do it by myself and was asked to go from one counter to the other. I did not had all those above mentioned documents as all of them are not mentioned in the RTO web site.

    If you go by yourself, then they are asking for all the above. I tried for 2 hours in vain only to end up with a big list of the required documents.

    Then finally with the help of an agent, of course by paying him money. He took only the xerox copies of the below mentioned documents:

    1. RC Book
    2. Insurance
    3. Existing Road Tax certificate
    4. Emission

    He went and paid the road tax and gave me the receipt in 15 minutes flat! He asked Rs 500 and finally we bargained and settled at Rs 400.

    This is what I have learnt in my own experience after shelling out Rs 400 and wasting half-a-day leave. Its not worth your time and effort by trying to get it done by yourself. Those ppl in RTO are not at all co-operating and responding properly. They are forcing ppl to come through agents as they are getting ‘moolah’s.

    Though I really felt bad for having encouraged these by myself, I did not had any other option.

    God only can save our Country.

    Jai Hind!

  97. Sathyadeep
    Posted March 3, 2008 at 2:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Vijay,
    This is a problem in all the RTOs. And…, u need not feel guilty b’cos there’s no other choice than to bribe these people. When money is forced out of u what can u do…?
    And I think more than one GOD is needed to save this country.

  98. Amit Gupta
    Posted March 18, 2008 at 3:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Do you know any agent who can get work done in the RTO office in Koramangala??

  99. Posted March 19, 2008 at 1:16 am | Permalink | Reply

    Hello Amit,
    Just go to RTO office, you will automatically get the agents. All agents are master in Artificial Intellegence, they will find out that you need him 🙂
    I think you can catch the bangalore-one guys.

    But ultematoly, you have to go both the office.

  100. gj
    Posted March 20, 2008 at 9:47 am | Permalink | Reply

    read the comments.had a nice time imagining my fate when i go to the rto.I have seen the same attitude all over wonder the only thing we indians are good at is imagining ourself to be a future singapore or european country.we should aim at atleast beating bangladesh or uganda or atleast timbuctoo in corruption

  101. Vijay
    Posted March 25, 2008 at 1:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Amit,

    There is no need to go to the respective RTO under which your area comes. You can pay the road tax at any of the RTOs. I’m sure there will be agents in all of the RTOs and you can get it done in less than 30 minutes. More importantly, do not leave the agent with the cash as there were some incidents of those agents running away with your money. So be with the agent or at least make sure they are at your sight when they pay the road tax at the counter on behalf of you.


  102. Satyajit
    Posted March 28, 2008 at 6:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I got my life time road tax paid today for my 15 month old pulsar with gujarat registration.Went to koramangala RTO,but the officer asked me to go to CTO near National games village n get form 42 filled with assessed tax amount,in spite of the bike being just more than 15 moths old.All the forms,33,27 and 14 given at office are in kannada but you get english forms from a shop in the BDA complex compound for Re.1 each.Then came the agent offering ‘service’.But that officer apparently chucked him out n sort of scolded me also in encouraging these middlemen!Then came another guy who knew english,tamil,hindi n he took me to indiranagar RTO at BDA complex n got the tax paid by DD even after cash hours!The amount included 1000 bucks as bribe for all the RTO staff plus his service charge of 300.The life time tax worked out to 6331 plus the bribe!Now i’ve to get my address changed with new registration number which the agent has offered to get in Rs.1800.Any info on the charges for address change n new number?It was thus a tiring n expensive affair.

    • Mayur
      Posted April 3, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink | Reply


      So in case if we bring bike from gujarat to bangalore and if we pay life time road tax in karnataka, Still we have to change our bike regestration number??

  103. new_bee
    Posted March 31, 2008 at 3:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi, Im new to bangalore….just shifted from Noida.
    Have a two wheeler with UP registration, From these many posts i am a bit confused. If I need to pay the road tax then can I pay it at any Bangalore-one centre and the receipt is enuf? What documents they will ask me ?

  104. ravikiran
    Posted April 3, 2008 at 11:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi, i am from hyderabad and recently moved to banglore for temporary posting.
    i wanted to bring my vehicle from my hyderabad to banglore .
    can u please tell me for how much time i can drive my vehicle in banglore with the NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE(which i will get from hyderabad)
    waiting for your reply

  105. Posted April 8, 2008 at 4:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I want to bring my bike (not registered with my Name) from Hyderabad to Bangalore.
    I have RC, 3rd Party Insurance, Pollution Certificate. I want ti know are they sufficient for me to use my bike in Bangalore after paying the Road Tax?
    Note: The bike is not registered with my Name

  106. Amit
    Posted April 13, 2008 at 11:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I am planning to buy a willys jeep, 1953 model, re numbered in 1971. Its Tamil Nadu registered. Is There a way I can get this old jeep registered in Karnataka?

  107. baaji
    Posted April 22, 2008 at 2:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi friends,

    I have one doubt about road tax. My bike is just 1 year 20 days old.

    Do i need to pay Entry tax. ( I moved from chennai to bangalore) . if so what do i need to pay the entry tax ? what is this entry tax?

    Pls share informations.

    Thanks in Advance.


  108. Hari
    Posted April 25, 2008 at 6:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi frnz ..
    Can i get any agents number so that i can contact him for paying the road tax for my bike.

    thanks in advance…

  109. kirankumar
    Posted April 29, 2008 at 2:46 am | Permalink | Reply

    hi friends,

    Tis s kiran. I need to know to pay road tax do we need to carry our bike to the RTO office. Bcoz problem is if i get my bike from tamil nadu to karnataka if any polices caught me means i ll have to pay fine.thats why so pls suggest me

  110. Anurag
    Posted May 2, 2008 at 12:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

    If you know of some one shifting from Bangalore to Delhi and wants to exchange the vehicles.
    I have a Santro Xing ❤ years old. It is in Very good condition.
    It will be a lot more simple for both the parties.
    Please write me at and I will call you.

  111. Posted May 4, 2008 at 8:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Its shit!! we don need a website to know all these.. Its his/her ability to learn when its their turn.


  112. prabhat
    Posted May 10, 2008 at 8:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I am transfering my car from noida to hyderabad. I will be there for arounf 2 years.
    Can I do by just paying the road tax? Or, should I go for complete re-registration?

    Hope somebody knows about rules in ap.

  113. Agasthi
    Posted May 12, 2008 at 4:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I have two wheeler registered in Bangalore,
    1 week before I lost my RC book. Could anyone please tell me how to get it back.
    If any good brokers are there pls send me their cell nos. Many Thanks in Advance!!!

  114. Suman Das
    Posted May 19, 2008 at 11:44 am | Permalink | Reply

    Just relocated to Bangalore from Kolkata.It,s bit confusing .My Zen Estillo is 10 months Old.Need to pay the road Tax that is fine.Do i need to Pay the entry Tax???

    What is the rule of Entry Tax??

    Thanks in advance.

  115. bibin
    Posted July 7, 2008 at 11:25 am | Permalink | Reply

    i am bibin i have a100cc bike in kerala now i am studying in bangalore i want to kno how 2 pay the tax

  116. Car from UP to Bangalore
    Posted July 17, 2008 at 11:32 am | Permalink | Reply

    How much tax i will have to pay for a new car(6 month old) with UP registration in
    Plz help me …

  117. k v subbaiah divakar
    Posted July 28, 2008 at 5:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hello friends>…………………….bangalore/28078\1730\Monday
    i am transferring my tata indica with CNG registration to bangalore . it was purchased at vasan mumbai in feb 2008.
    can some one give me a turn key procedure to get it transferred with the change in registration no.or the name and address of a very competent agent.
    hip hip hurray!!!
    From: K.V.Subbaiah Divakar

  118. vijay
    Posted August 1, 2008 at 6:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Dear friend,

    Thank you very much for such useful information.
    let me tell my story.I am having kerala registration bike, so i thought i should pay karnataka road tax. i went to indranagar with my one local friend. i reached there at 3.30 pm so, i have been told come tomorrow even if he saw my all the documents as below
    1- RC BOOK.
    When next day , i went there alone i have been told to bring NOC.
    we know very well there is no need of noc for paying only road tax.
    This time i am struggling for paying road tax.
    Next time i will go with same kanadda local friends.

    I dont know when this corrupted babu will die?????

  119. sidharth
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 2:41 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I wana get my car in noida to bangalore for 8 months only after which I will be back to noida.What I understand is I just need to pay road tax if I am staying less then an year do i need to pay life time road tax in karnatka or is there a proviosn of 1 year road tax?

  120. Kiran
    Posted August 8, 2008 at 4:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I have got a Maruti Alto LX, with Apr-2004 Registration, I’m the second owner of this vehicle, Now I will be shifting from PUNE to BANGALORE. Here do I need to Pay Road tax .,
    Since The road tax is already paid at MH-RTO, can’t it be internally transfered to KA-RTO ?
    What is the procedure for the same?

    If I have to pay LLT ( life time Tax) again, then how much % of LLT amount for the vehicle will be leived. or is LTT flat 7% of the Inovice value?

    Br/ Kiran

  121. Abhishek
    Posted August 9, 2008 at 7:25 am | Permalink | Reply

    hi ,
    i got caught today morning only bcos i havent paid the road tax .I was thinking about paying it today or on monday could somebody tell me what are the documents needed now to pay the tax and how much will an agent charge and could someone gimme the no of the agent that would be a great help ..

  122. Sathyadeep
    Posted August 25, 2008 at 12:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

    NOC is a must for paying tax. If you directly approach any RTO they won’t entertain you without an NOC. And if you have NOC issued from your state you must re-register the vehicle after paying taxed before the NOC expires(wthin some 30 or 45 days). b’cos once NOC expires your current registration will cease to be valid.

    Also cops cannot ask for road tax. Only RTO can. Do not pay maamul to these cops. Police & RTO are entirely different.

    IF RTO stops you claim that you’v come here for just a few days. Make sure your documents do not contain any B’Lore adddress. Hope that helps.

  123. prasant
    Posted September 1, 2008 at 3:44 pm | Permalink | Reply


    i am in Bangalore for last 6 months, just 3 months back i had decided to bring 4yr old bullet to Bangalore, so i told my brother to take a noc from Orissa.And he had taken that from local RTO.

    some how i had faced some situation in last 2 months and got irritated that i have purchaged a new Bajaj Pulsur over here so called by these f**K karnataka registered.

    now i need to keep my bullet in orissa only.
    and also want to sell the same there.

    As i have taken a noc from orissa rto can i sell my bike right now?

    or i need to bring the same to here and need to pay the same tex amount here and then i will take there and sell the same?

    please help.

  124. jay
    Posted September 4, 2008 at 3:53 pm | Permalink | Reply


    im from bangalore ,want to source a 11 years old vehicle from tamilnadu
    want the KA registration,how long it will take after to get the KA number from the tax paid date ,do i need to wait for 11month from the tax paid date
    pls sugest

  125. Sathyadeep
    Posted September 16, 2008 at 4:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Prashanth, you must surrender the NOC in Orissa saying that you do not intend to move u’r vehicle. Then I think u’ll have to again take a fresh NOC saying that you intend to transfer the ownership(once u’v decided whom to sell the bike to)

    You will get the best advice from AASI: (

    You can also speak to B’Lore office of AASI on phone: 22111561

    U need not wait for 11 months. I thinks it takes 4 to 5 months to get the new no.
    U too can contact AASI. They give you the best advice.

  126. Rohan
    Posted October 4, 2008 at 10:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Useful information….thanks to all
    so guys be ready with ur documents….otherwise those worms will be eating ur money…take care.

  127. anuj
    Posted October 7, 2008 at 6:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi all ,
    I read above posts n have a doubt…
    I m bringing pusar bike from jammu … it is not registered in my name ..will that be a problem while paying road tax?
    Thnks in advance.

  128. pradeep
    Posted October 14, 2008 at 4:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi all,

    Thanks for the information shared here on the page .
    It’s really helped a lot.

    thanks again

  129. Posted October 20, 2008 at 12:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi all,

    Bike is in my brother name… I have taken by brother’s bike from tamil nadu to bangalore…

    Tell me whether brother presence is required to pay the road tax

    He is not a residence of Bangalore… Pls help me how to pay the road tax in bangalore


  130. Sathyadeep
    Posted October 22, 2008 at 10:19 am | Permalink | Reply

    well, to pay road tax I’m afraid owner’s presence is required(if you directly approach the RTO).

  131. Byju
    Posted October 30, 2008 at 10:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Thanks for the useful information.

  132. tass
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 1:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

    i have chennai bike and now i moved to bangalore , i want to take only road tax, no need for KA register change , in this NOC is required or what ? please answer any one

  133. Sekhar babu
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 4:12 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I have 2 wheeler which was register edin andhra pradesh.nOw Iam transferred to tamil nadu. Do in need to pay any tax to ride in tamil nadu so that no traffic police should create problem? I dont want toget tamil nadu number just i have 2 ride ride the bike without any problems from traffic police? what is the procedure?please tel me

  134. Sekhar babu
    Posted November 20, 2008 at 4:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

    This is Sekhar. I recently relocated from Hyderabad to Chennai.
    Im planning to bring my bike(passion plus) from Andhra Pradesh for a duration of one year. Could you help me to what should I submit to pay the road tax. First of all I want to know that Is NOC required because I dont need any registration. I want to continue with the old (Andhra Pradesh) registration only. Could you inform where can i get the required details.

    Thank You

  135. Vishal Patel
    Posted November 27, 2008 at 4:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi all,

    I am going to bring my bike from gujarat to bangalore but do not want re-register so no need of NOC.I want to what is the current road tax rate in bangaloe.I heard that it’s more then other state.Is it current?Plz. tell me what is current rate now?

    Thanks & Regards.
    Vishal Patel

  136. Rohit
    Posted December 7, 2008 at 11:05 am | Permalink | Reply

    Easiest Way… which I did..

    get caught by police… refuse to pay fine and ask that you want to pay road tax and allow them to seize your vehicle… They will issue a letter with that go to RTO and pay tax… RTO will not even ask you for address proof/NOC…. all you need is registration book/card.. thats it…

  137. Posted December 11, 2008 at 1:25 am | Permalink | Reply

    Hi friends,

    Can someone help me out. I have recently purchased a car from my friend in karnataka, but the car is Kerela registration. Now my problem is I wish to resell the car to someone, but everyone has a problem as soon as they listen its a Kerela car in Karnataka. The car is a 2000 model Santra LE in perfect condition. Can someone guide me as to what will be the expense to get it converted to Karnataka registration. And what will be the resale value of the same after I get it converted to karnataka registration.

    Plz friends someone send me the relevant information on my mail id Also if someone interested in purchasing the vehicle (if you are from kerela it will be great) you can also contact me on the same.


  138. Sathyadeep
    Posted December 12, 2008 at 10:09 am | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Rohit,
    Were you caught by the traffic police or the RTO inspector?
    I wonder how traffic police can seize vehicle. I’v been stopped by police quite a no. of times, but I argued and got out. Actually I claim that I come from Hosur(My bike is Hosur registered).
    If fact in interiors of B’lore cops don’t even ask for tax receipt. At the most they ask for noc for which i respond saying that I’m not a resident of B’lore.

  139. Ankush Jain
    Posted December 19, 2008 at 12:06 am | Permalink | Reply

    Dear All,
    I have Haryana registration bike and i have to stay at Bangalore for one year only.
    i dont want to pay life time tax
    i dont want to change number.
    is there any provision of paying one year tax only??
    Ankush Jain

  140. Deepak Bhirud
    Posted January 1, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I have Maharashtra (Pune) passing bike…
    Can anyone tell me what is the approximate road tax for bangalore. and what i need to do?
    I dont have NOC…but have all the docs for my bike…….
    thanks in advance

  141. Venkatraman
    Posted January 9, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Dear All
    I am Venkat from Hyderabad.I have Yamaha g5 Libero bought in the year 2006.I shifted to Bangalore in July2007.
    I have got NOC,Insurence and emmision certificate.

    Now I want to use the vehicle in Bangalore without changing the number. How do I do it and also would like to know is NOC for limited period.

    Thanks and Regards

  142. Posted January 10, 2009 at 11:31 am | Permalink | Reply

    I am able to re-register my 6yrs old AP registered bike in Bangalore, Karnataka, withouth paying any bribe in just 3 to 4 hrs on Jan 3rd 2009 without much fuss.

    All one need to have, Patience & bit of kannada knowledge, else get some one who knows kannada with you.

    I wanted to re-register my bike (not just paying tax), onec can do away with RR and can only pay tax to legally use the bike in Bangalore.

    Documents Needed.

    1. NOC
    2. PUC: Pollution Under Control Certificate.
    3. Form 27
    4. Form 28
    5. Form 33
    6. Vehicle Invoice
    7. CMV 27
    8. Registration Certificate.
    9. Insurance
    10. Proof of Addres.
    11. Reciept for Fee
    a. Change of address – Rs. 20/-
    b. Assing New Number – Rs. 60/-
    c. Road Tax – Rs. 2547/-
    12. 4 Passport Photos.


    Get the forms from the help desk and fill up with required details, attach NOC, PUC, RC, Address Proof, Photos and go to counter 8 in room # 8 , officer verifies and calculates the road tax, change of address, New number fee and asks you to pay the fee and get reciepts, go to cash counter in the same room and pay cash and get his initial and then go to hall / room # 1 (audit dept) get it verified by a lady and have her initial on the paper set and come back to room # 8 to a counter where a old lady sits and she again verifies and she will direct you to another counter where he will keys vehicle details in to a computer and provides his initials and assigns a number, then got to the counter next to initial counter where you went for tax calculation and he again verify and again go to the counter where the old lady sits and accepts your documents and gives you a reciept and will ask you to come after 10 days to collect your RC book. Thats it.

    I found every body very helpful and co-operative and all it takes it about 4 hours and all done.

    Good luck.

    • santhosh
      Posted May 7, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

      Hi Sreenivas,

      I need to pay road tax for my newly bought pulsar in TN. Could you let me know how much would the tax be for this vehicle…


  143. sanjay
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 11:17 am | Permalink | Reply

    HI ALL

    my bike is bajaj avenger 2006 aug, i need to pay only road tax please help me and i dont have any noc . give me any agent no

  144. archana
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 11:22 am | Permalink | Reply

    I have paid the road tax and he gave me in 20min, i have doubt it is original or dubu please can anyone send the scaned copy of the road tax paper to this mail id,

  145. Venkatraman
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Thanks a lot Sreenivas

  146. Raj
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hello friends, My bike is of TN registration bought back in July07, now i am shifted to bangalore, i want to know what all taxes i need to pay without changing my Registration no. and also not to pay any fine in my lifetime… I have all the documents except NOC…

    Thanks in advance….

  147. Raj
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hello guys,

    I have a bike of TN registration bought back in July ’07, now i shifted to Bangalore. I would like to know what all taxes i need to pay without changing my Registration no. and also not paying any more fines in my lifetime here… I have all the documents except the NOC…

    Thanks in advance

  148. Prakash
    Posted January 16, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi All,
    I have brought my 18 months old Vehicle(Splender) here yesterday. Can any one say how much should i want to pay for road tax. And I’m in BTM where is the RTO office near by BTM. Also i dont know kannada. Can any one help me.
    Thanks in advance.

  149. Swarupa
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I paid road tax at Jayanagar RTO. Guess you too need to go there. Actually i asked one officer on the road( ofcourse when i was not driving my ‘the’ vehicle)He told me to go to Jayanagar. There I didn’t find any one even to give Form at 11pm. so finally i got hold of an agent he did it for me in 15-20 min. Only i had to take Original RC book. If you have then receipt of the vehicle. they use it to find todays value of the vehicle. and calculate tax. I didn’t have that so agent found some old one from his database for reference almost of the same date and I was all set. Of course i had to pay him.

  150. asif
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi..i have a 18month year old swift which i am driving in bangalore now without having yet payed my road tax for transfer here from kerala…So cosidering that i bot my car for 5 lakhs are you guys tellin that i need to pay 10%entry tax and 10% road tax for drivin my car in bangalore…that comes to aound 1lakh people!!!1 LAKH tax for a car that is worth maybe 3 lakhss now…this is so absurb….wouldnt it make more sense to jsy bribe the RTO who cathes me? what you guys think?

  151. Rohit
    Posted January 30, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

    This is really a Useful information


  152. Posted February 2, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi, friends
    This is Mahesh Chandra. An Oracle employee, recently I have shifted my self from Delhi to Bangalore, with my Hero Honda Splender super 125cc. As u all know that it is mandatory to pay road tax seperatly here in Karnataka to ride ur vehicle registered in other state. So here I would like to know more about the processure and how it is being calculated on 5 months old bike. Every time traffic police asking for the same and taki 100 RS. as a bride. I dont know what to do and to whom should i contact for better solution. If some body want to help me please give me your valuable suggestion to me on my mobile no.9632814434

    Thanks & regards
    Mahesh Chandra

  153. Shaniyas
    Posted February 11, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Dear All,
    I am having 2008 model Chevrolet optra magnum which is registered to kerala state.As i m working in bangalore i brought my vehicle to bangalore last month.On the same day when i entered city there i met with an RTO checking.As i had the karnataka state entry check post receipt taken on the same day i didnt pay any fine.But from that guy i came to know thati have to pay road tax for karnataka state if i wish to stay here more than a week.From some sources i came to know that u can use other state registered vehicles in any state without any additional tax payment up to 3 months.from 3 months to 1 year you have to pay the road tax and above 1 year you have to change the registration.can anybody clarify these points.I have already paid rs 54000 in kerala road car is 11 months old.what will b the additional approximate tax.Is there any option to pay the additional tax for one year .Can u help me??

  154. Niladri
    Posted March 11, 2009 at 11:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

    My questions are related with Road Tax rules in KA.

    1) What’s Invoice?
    2) Would a 15 year Jeep have it?
    3) If it doesn’t then what’s the way out?

    I called the Jayanagar RTO. They say the tax will be 8% and 25%. Since Language is an issue here – I am not sure what she wanted to convey to me.
    Looking for help.

  155. Posted March 12, 2009 at 11:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi, i purchased tata indica car in 2005[4yrs old] worth 4 lakhs. i have paid road tax in kerala and i am planning to use the vehicle in bangalore. DO i need to pay the entry tax and road tax and if so what’s the approximate amount i have to pay.Can the road tax paid in kerala be transsferred to karnataka.How long (how many months) can i use the vehicle in bangalore without paying road tax.please comment.

  156. annan
    Posted April 3, 2009 at 10:17 am | Permalink | Reply


    Do we have an option to pay yearly TAX in karnataka for cars ?

    Paying lifeTAX twicw is pretty taxing ! ! !

    Have anyone checked on this or tried to pay yearly tax in BLR ?

    Pls reply


  157. romeoboys
    Posted April 5, 2009 at 1:31 am | Permalink | Reply

    hi,i am from tamilnadu. i have a supersplendour which i bought in january 2009 here to search for a job. i bought my bike by train. There, the railway employees in bangalore sbc junction asked me to pay bribe to take my bike. A broker came and told me the procedure. for that he asked Rs 150. He asked me to give Rs20 to checking inspector,Then another Rs 20 to railway police,Then another Rs 20 to Gatekeeper. (may be he asked me money for purchasing condoms). There is no other go 4 me. If i dont give the amount to these ******* , then i cant take my own bike from these bastards.

    Then here we can pay the road tax directly in RTO office counters.Again the brokers will come to suck us. No other way to go. We should lose all our hard earned money if we are sincere. So what i use to do is ,i will ride my bike very cautious. if i c a traffic police i ll rise my speed and escape. i ll mostly drive in early morning where all cops sleep in their home after **** their wife and i ll ride in the right side of the road since the cops will stand only in the left side of the road. the pathetic and pity conditions is these cops mostly can the KA registered bike. No freedom for kannadians itself. then how come other state people life. Each and every state different rule. But the only rule in india is “CORRUPTION”. JAI HIND INDIA.. SOON WE WILL BECOME THE MASTERS IN BRIBE AND CORRUPTION. DONT VOTE FOR THE POLITICIANS. NEVER VOTE FOR ANYONE.

  158. Sathyadeep
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

    RTO will first check the address on your documents(DL & IC). If all are non-KA then you are half safe. Then you need to argue your way out. I advice people to carry their home state issued ration card or voter-id etc., These are a proof that u r a resident in that state and therefore a visitor here. This may help.

  159. Girish
    Posted April 19, 2009 at 7:57 am | Permalink | Reply

    I wish to buy an Tata Safri 2004 model for 3 lakhs from Hyderabad. How much TAX I have to pay while re-registering in Karnataka ?

  160. paul
    Posted May 1, 2009 at 11:13 am | Permalink | Reply

    I brought a 10 year (1999 model) old bike from Kerala (Kerala registration) and the ownership has transferred to me. Life time road tax has been paid in Kerala and is valid till 2014. I am using this vehicle in Bangalore, Karnataka now.
    Now, do I have to pay the road tax in Karnataka? If yes, please guide me on the process and the required documents.
    I just heard from friends that, other state vehicles are exempted from the road tax for the first six months (provided, the road tax has been paid in the home state and is still valid). Is it correct? Could anyone please guide me in this?
    And, is there any provision for paying the road tax for one year?

  161. Anoop Nair
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 9:47 am | Permalink | Reply


    i brought my 2000 model kerala registration splender to bangalore. i want to pay the road tax for the same. i will be here for the next 8-9 months only. when i inquired for paying the tax, they are telling to pay Life time tax. kindly let me know if there is any option to pay tax for one year.


  162. amit
    Posted May 4, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I bought my bike from delhi. but I dont have the noc, the only document i have the registration, insurance, and pollution and the bike is in the name of my friend. what tax i have to pay to drive the bike in bangalore

  163. Rakesh
    Posted June 21, 2009 at 1:18 am | Permalink | Reply

    Hi All,
    I purchased a two wheeler in February 2008 in maharasta. then I got transferred to bangalore in October 2008. so, i took the NOC from maharasta RTO at the time of leaving. after coming to bangalore again i had to go out of bangalore for 7 months. so, i could not able to pay road tax during that time. Now after coming back to bangalore, when i visited nearest RTO to pay road tax, they told me that, as i have taken NOC when my vehicle had not completed 15 months, i have to pay entry tax first, then i have to pay road tax. and as per their information i have to pay 13% of my vehicle cost as entry tax, then 10% as road tax. which comes around Rs14000 (also as my NOC is lapsed .. so, some penalty amount for that also).
    I enquired about it from 3-4 brokers and found the above amount varies 2000 – 3000 from one broker to another; can not expect any help from hopeless RTO officials as indirectly they r also asking to come via some broker so that they can also put some in their pocket.
    so, i doubt, do i need to pay entry tax here? if yes, then exactly how much i need to pay as entry tax? As i had already paid 12.5% vAT at the time of purchaging vehicle, do i really need to pay another 13% here as entry tax?
    I am getting mad after visiting the RTO offices and meeting brokers here. and my frustration is multiplying everytime after hearing the words from different brokers.

    please please help me out.

    Thank you in advance..

  164. Renjith
    Posted June 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hello Anoop,
    If u r a central govt employee, U can pay tax for any 1 or 2 yrs. U just need to produce a letter from ur higher authority in this respect.

  165. deljodavis
    Posted August 1, 2009 at 2:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Now there is no entry tax required for paying the vehicle tax as per the directive of karnataka high court.

    • Nithin
      Posted August 10, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

      @ganu: my vehicle from Bengaluru (KA). Now I work in Hyderabad (AP). If I pay life time road tax for my car in AP, can I drive it over here more than an year?

  166. Kapil
    Posted January 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hello Friends,

    This is kapil and I had brought Alto car from UP to blr 2 days back.I have NOC and all required documents required to paylife time road tax.
    I might stay in Blr for 3-4 yrs or more.I will be paying lifetime road tax but don’t want o have Karnataka regn number and want to maintain UP number.
    Is it possible only to paytax and number not changed even after using car in Blr for more than 1 yr?

  167. kumar
    Posted February 9, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I stay in Hosur, Tamilnadu and i come by bike to b’lore daily for work and go back. Still do i need to pay entry, road tax for Karnataka state.pls adv.

    • Sathyadeep
      Posted May 27, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

      No need to pay anything. But carry a Hosur address proof (voter ID, ration cd etc.), so that you can clain that you are only on a visit and not a resident in B’lore. Your DL and documents must also contain Hosur(atlease some non-KA) address.

      You may be stopped only by RTO inspector… Cops should’nt stop you these days.., the Associate commissioner of traffic Praveen Sood has issued order that vehicles should be stopped only in case of offence(not for docs. checking).

  168. ashwin
    Posted February 10, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Friends,

    I am new to Bangalore, I got a TN registered bike form chennai. I dont hv NOC since I have taken the bike in Installments.

    Everyone says that NOC is NOT required for paying the TAX, But i approached a driving school for paying the road tax but they told me NOC is required even for paying the TAX.

    SO plz tell me what I have to do for paying the road tax.

    Mob no. 9620903180

  169. kris
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Friends.

    Am planning to take vehicle (4 wheeler) in chennai. Suppose after some time if am using the same vehicle in bangalore. So do i need to pay road tax again here in bangalore. Or else only NOC is enough. I think for four wheelers are permitted all over india, right?. If am wrong on this, tell me what all tax i need to pay.

  170. Dhaval
    Posted March 19, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

    This was the crappiest piece of info I found regarding registration/paying road tax for out of state vehicles. It sounds like, go to this office, do all this crap, if not, do some other crap then come back and do more crap. It contains no specific info like what documents are accepted for address proof, what forms need to be filled, rough idea about how much tax needs to be paid, how much time you need to spend in doing all this at the rto etc.

    What a piece of crap!

    • Posted March 24, 2010 at 12:27 am | Permalink | Reply

      wow!! Thank god some one doesnt like this post. This is also good motivation for me. 😛
      Any way this is very old post, now may be things are changed. But you are funny guy. 🙂

    Posted May 25, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Dear sir ,
    I brought the maruti 800 from gujarat on 2nd week of may, 2010. the model 1999(04.10.1999 ) i had all required documents.
    prize including all . 2,26,020.00
    gujarat R.T.O. 19,556.43

    how much I am going to pay the R. T.O. TAX In karnataka . and what is the procedure

  172. Posted June 7, 2010 at 12:57 am | Permalink | Reply

    Dear Friends,

    I have certain confusions regarding the Karnataka Road Tax of vehicles outside the state. I stay in Bangalore. I am from Kerala.. I have a Kerala registration bike…I am using it from past 3 years. Still, I have not paid the Karnataka Road Tax. Initially, I ecountered a lot of issues with the policemen. However, from past one year, none of the cops asks for the KA Road Tax. Please note that once article came in the Times of India Newspaper on June 2009. Please find the link below:

    Or else, please search in google.

    But, before 2 days once guy caught me and asked for KA Road Tax. I explained him this rule…then he asked me for that paper cutting. I was not carrying that. Actually, I would like to know the new rule properly. Moreover, I want to know the difference between entry tax and ka road tax??? Is it the same????

  173. Santhana Krishnan
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I am basically from TamilNadu. I am staying in Hyderabad for the past three years. I wanted to buy a new bike “Honda Unicorn”. I am very much confused about where to buy (in Chennai or Hyderabad). Anyway i will go back to TamilNadu. So, where to buy my bike.

    Is it good if i purchase in AP and register it in AP and change it when i am going to Tamil Nadu (or) It is good to purchase it in chennai and register it there and use it in AP.

    In big confusion.

    Please help me to come out from this complex situation.

  174. Santhana Krishnan
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

    What happens if i buy a bike in pondichery and take it to Tamil Nadu or Andhra Pradesh.

    Will it be big problem because we have huge amount of tax difference in these states with pondichery.

    Please help me.

  175. Prabu
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 11:15 am | Permalink | Reply


    Am planning to bring my bike (Yamaha Fazer 2006 model) from Tamil Nadu to Bangalore. I’ll probably stay here for another 6 to 10 months I guess. I’m totally confused with the blogs and articles in the internet.

    What should I do so that I can drive my vehicle in Bangalore with Tamil Nadu registration???

    How much road tax should I need to pay??

    Di I need to get any NOC from Tamil Nadu??

    Anyone who has done this formalities, pls help me. Thanks in advance


  176. srinathee
    Posted July 19, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

    i am planing to bring my bike to Chennai .please suggest me what and all i need to do ….Thanks

    • kakkei
      Posted July 19, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

      from where is it from Bangalore ?

  177. Siva
    Posted September 14, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hellooo all,

    Road tax payment service is no more available in Bangalore One centers. So there is only one valid option

    ***** OPTION I ***********

  178. subhash gandhi
    Posted December 13, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

    i am facing a weird issue while getting my vehicle re-registered to Karnataka . i own a bike which i bought in gurgaon, haryana and i am trying to get it registered in bangalore. i have all the required documents for the re-registration except for the road tax receipt of haryana, which i havent got neither from the dealer nor from the Rto directly. when i contacted the dealer, i got a reply that they dont give receipts over there and the rto guys in bangalore are not ready to accept that answer. i dont know what to do now. if anyone could help me out it will be really appreciated.

  179. I Vivekanandan
    Posted December 18, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Can any one tell me about the new rule imposed for vehicles carrying Non-karnataka number recently../ Can anyone provide the link for official statement telling the above.
    i heard from some of my friends, now new rule is imposed which doesn’t require road tax in karnataka..

    Please clarify

    Thanks in advance,.

  180. Arif
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I have one bike with AP registration ie one year old bike.i want to brought the bike to Bangalore.i will use this bike hear for one year agin i have to take back to what i have to do.
    if i pay one year road tax it enough.if its enough for one year how much i have to pay as a road tax.
    other wise i have to go with NOC.
    am in confuse what to do please get me back with right suggestion

  181. Sathish
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 2:04 am | Permalink | Reply

    Okay, I have a Bike Reg-ed in Tamil nadiu and I like to use it in karnataka.


    1- Get NOC from TN RTO
    2- Pay Road Tax with KA RTO

    Then u r set to use your bike in KA for another one year

    Correct me if I am wrong senior’s

  182. Sashi k
    Posted May 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I have brought a 2 wheeler from chennai to B’lore. Since I work in a company where my job is transferrable, i preferred not to change my vehicle’s registration number but pay road tax in bangalore. please clarify my 2 doubts:
    1. Is it necessary to pay road tax in bangalor again when i have paid life time tax in chennai?
    2. If yes, then is it necessary to change my address in the RC book in order to pay tax? I have not brought NOC from chennai as I had to join my company very urgently, and couldn’t manage to get NOC.

  183. m j
    Posted May 17, 2011 at 8:58 am | Permalink | Reply


    i have a two wheeler which was first registered in bangalore. then i got a transfer to Maharashtra and i changed the registeration to MH. now, i am transfered back to bangalore. should i pay the road tax again here?? i have already paid life time road tax in karnataka when my vehicle was first registered here. somebody please help!

  184. Sathish
    Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink | Reply


    I have bought a two wheeler and registered in tamilnadu. I want to move it to bangalore. I do not want to re-register in karnataka. If I want to pay road tax, NOC from tamilnadu RTO is required. Pls clarify. Contact # 9663367472

  185. XYZ
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink | Reply

    What if i do not have invoice of the vehicle…please suggest

  186. XYZ
    Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:19 am | Permalink | Reply

    What if i donot have the vehicle invoice.. please suggest

  187. Kumar
    Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

    I’ m having a bike with MH passing n 7 months older. asked to someone n they told that – Vehicle invoice , current address proof and LTRT amount watever is applicable.

  188. Mukul Biswas
    Posted August 7, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

    HI guys any one know what to do when you lose the tax paid recipt. basically my bike is a AP registration and i paid the tax paid in 2007 in bangalore .un fortunately the same is missing from few months. is there are procedure to get a duplicate of the same.

  189. chinmay sahoo
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink | Reply

    my ? is transfer my bike orissa to pune but i dont want to change my bike no so i talk to rto office orissa they tell me in this case NOC is not requared its true or what

  190. John
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 3:15 am | Permalink | Reply


    Guys read ths and avoid paying tax.still many people doesnt know abt this and simpling paying.all thses money is goes to RTO **** pockets

  191. Ashish Joshi
    Posted September 11, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

    Hi all,

    I am going to bring my bike from Delhi to bangalore but do not want re-register so no need of NOC.I want to what is the current road tax rate in bangaloe.I heard that it’s more then other state.Is it current?Plz. tell me what is current rate now?

  192. Zakir
    Posted October 12, 2011 at 12:55 am | Permalink | Reply

    Hi All,

    I am planning 2 buy a second hand bike from Andhra Pradesh registration and get it to bangalore, what and all documents do i need to check,and let me know the procedure to change to my ownership and get KA number.

  193. Prabhakar
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink | Reply

    can u pls tell me how much you paid as entry fees and Road tax for your vehicle – and what vehicle you had it now for this craps…..

  194. Prabhakar
    Posted November 8, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink | Reply

    Is there any option to pay karnatka road tax on yearly basis ? instead of paying lifetime road tax…..

  195. Rahul
    Posted November 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

    On 8th of this month i was stopped by the traffic police because i had a different registration no.My dl and rc was confiscated.whn i went to the rto office they asked for the invoice and calculated the tax as 12550/- since my insurance had lapsed by a couple of months they also slapped a fine of 900.Now can u plz tell me am i supposed to pay that amount.

  196. Rahul
    Posted November 11, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

    and my bike just over a year old.

  197. Bhavna Singla
    Posted December 22, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink | Reply

    Hi Guys,

    My car has UP registeration and i have shifted to banaglore recently.on 1st Dec 2011,RTO seized all my original car docs and requires me to pay road tax.It is an i10,2009 registration of UP.can some body please help me to calculate the road tax to be appid for this vehicle.RTO officer calculated Rs.51,000/-.break up is as follows:
    13 % of the Car purcahse value :
    11 % cess on the tax above and then
    1 % monthly penaty from Oct 2011 onwards for not pahying road tax.

    i need to know if above is correct.should not the basic tax be calculated on the depriciated value fo Car ,which is mentioned in the insurance certificate.

    please help.


  198. Jijo
    Posted January 2, 2012 at 9:30 am | Permalink | Reply

    These are the options


    RTO No Objection Certificate (NOC) and Re-registration

    When you shift your vehicle to another state you will have to follow some procedure for a hassle free driving in the new state. For example when you move a vehicle registered in Kerala RTO and move to any other state like Tamil Nadu or Karnataka then you have to follow the RTO rules.

    If you are planning to stay in the new place for less than 3 months then you don’t have to do anything. As per RTO rules it is considered as a visit. If you are going to stay for more than 3 months and less than one year then you have to pay a nominal Tax amount in the new state. But RTO officers will not accept tax for other state vehicle. They will ask for change of address and re-registration.

    As per rules if you are planning to stay in the new place for more than one year you have to apply for change of address and re-registration. To apply for the change of address you have to get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the home state RTO where the vehicle is registered.

    How to Get a NOC

    To apply for a No Objection Certificate you need following documents

    1. Four copies of Form 28 with Chasis number pencil print and one court fee stamp of Rs 4.

    2. Police clearance certificate from the local police station

    3. No Objection Letter from the financier if it is under hire purchase

    4. Original RC Book

    5. Insurance Certificate

    With all the above documents you have to apply in the RTO office where the vehicle is registered. It will take few days for them to prepare a NOC. If you go through an agent you may get it fast but they will charge you at least Rs1200/-. Without any bribe or agents I got my NOC in 4 days from Tripunithura RTO. So if you have time then it is better to go directly.

    Change of Address and Re-registration

    After getting NOC you have to apply for change of address and re-registration in the new state with following documents

    1. No Objection Certificate from the original RTO

    2. Police clearance certificate (In Tamil Nadu it is Crime Record Beuro or CRB) stating that this vehicle is not a stolen one

    3. Consent from the Financier if it is hypothecated under a hire purchase

    4. 2 photos

    5. Tax Certificate

    6. RC Book

    7. Pollution Under Control Certificate

    8. Insurance Certificate

    9. Form 33 – Intimation of Change of Address for recording in the certificate of registration and office records

    10. Form 29 – Notice of Transfer of Ownership of a motor vehicle

    11. Form 30 – Application for intimation and transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle

    You have to apply for a change of address and re-registration with above documents and pay the life time tax in the new state. It will take 2-3 months to get the new registration number. After that you can apply for a refund in tax in the old RTO.

    Option -2

    Better than changing the # just pay the road tax in Bangalore and use it as long as u are here(if long term plan) and when you go back to kerala you can use there or sell it..Road tax is about 12% of the WDV.

    • sasi
      Posted February 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

      hi. I just brought my vehicle to bangalore from chennai. I don’t have NOC from chennai RTO. is it enough to pay tax here and use my bike without changing the number?

  199. Posted January 5, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink | Reply

    You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation however I to find this topic to be really one thing that I feel I’d by no means understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I’m having a look ahead for your subsequent post, I will try to get the hang of it!

  200. arjun andrady
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

    hi do have a query my bike is 2005 model its a kerala reg i just move to chennai 10 days back. by reading the comments i understand that road tax is enough. but could anyone tell me how much does it cost around for 2005 year model 2 wheeler and anybody whom i can contact to get this done

  201. Vinodh
    Posted May 8, 2012 at 3:41 am | Permalink | Reply

    i am having 2006 model swift car.. it is registered in Tamil Nadu.. now i shifted to bangalore.. i want to know how much need to pay road tax for one year & what all the documnets nee to submit… plz help me out of this…. i dont want to take life time road tax in bangalore.. plz mail me also –

  202. Vinodh
    Posted May 8, 2012 at 3:42 am | Permalink | Reply

    – Continuation My vehicle IDV value is INR – 3,00,000

  203. Posted August 20, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink | Reply

    well the information is very useful.But I don’t think that NOC is required in every state

  204. Ashish
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

    i bought my chevy Beat along with bajaj avenger from delhi and driving in bangalore from 1.5 problem at all..many time they stoped me in night checked my license and car RC but never asked me about the road tax and all

    and i personally inquired 2-3 traffic police wala about the NOC they told me that its not required

  205. vikram singh
    Posted October 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

    @Ashish, Buddy are you sure on this ?? I am planning to upgrade my 2010 Wagon R lxi 1.0 to swift zdi and probably will buy it from delhi as no road tax there and run it in bangalore ?? can u confirm if its safe ans feasible option ?? many thanks if u could respond plzz

    Posted April 19, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

    sir how much will be th road tax for Tamilnadu registered 2 wheelr.i have pai life tax at TN,again i have to pay here means how much?

  207. Prince
    Posted September 2, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

    i moved my bike from tamilnadu to bangalore. do i need to get NOC if i want to stay for 1 year or i want to pay road tax for 1 year. please help me.

    • Prabu
      Posted November 6, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

      Boss, thevai illa. I’ve used my bike for the past 2.5 years and never had any issues using it here. Now I’ve sold the bike and purchased a KA registered vehicle. My friends are still using TN registered vehicles and they have no issues till now.

  208. Venkatesh
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink | Reply


    1. What I have to do when I bring an other state vehicle to Karnataka State ?

    How the tax is assessed? Change of address has to be intimated within 30 days before the Jurisdictional Regional Transport office.

    If the vehicle is purchased from outside state bearing other state registration mark then Transfer of ownership has to be intimated within 30 days before the Jurisdictional Regional Transport office.

    Before using the vehicle in the state of Karnataka you should pay Motor vehicle Tax.

    To know about this, The first thing to do is to approach the Jurisdictional RTOs along with the Original Registration Certificate, Insurance and Emission Testing Certificate.

    You approach the Help Desk or the Public relation officer, who will guide to the concerned officer/counter.

    At the counter you will be guided about the procedure, forms to be filed, tax and fees to be paid.

    The tax to be paid will be assessed on the basis of the age and cubic capacity of the vehicle as on the date of migration in respect of cars and motorcycles.

    In respect of light motor vehicles, which are registered subsequent to 01/04/2003, the tax will be assessed on the basis of cost and age of the vehicle at the time of registration. So please remember to produce the invoice of the vehicle before the tax assessing officer.

    2. Where and how can I pay the motor vehicle tax, in respect of the my other state vehicle ?

    You have to fill a form no. kmvt 14 for this purpose and obtain the acceptance of the tax assessing officer and pay it in the cash counter.

    If the amount of tax is more than Rs 3000/ – You have to obtain a demand draft in the name of the ‘REGIONAL TRANSPORT OFFICER’ Bangalore (if the place of residence falls under the jurisdiction of Bangalore City ) or the location of the concerned Regional Transport Office.

    3. What documents are accepted as address proof ?

    Any one of the following;

    The Registering Authority may accept an affidavit sworn by the applicant before an executive magistrate or a First class Judicial Magistrate or a Notary public .

    4. What documents are accepted as age proof ?

    Any one of the following;

    1. School Certificate 2. Birth Certificate, 3 Certificate Granted by registered Medical Practitioner not below the rank of Civil surgeon 2.Passport 3 . LIC policy 4. Voter’s ID card, 5. Electoral Roll

    4. Whether NOC (NO objection Certificate) is required for payment of Tax ?

    NOC is not a requirement for payment of tax .

    5. Whether NOC (NO objection Certificate) is required for recording change of address in respect of an other state vehicle ?

    NOC is not a requirement for recording change of address in respect of an other state vehicle

    6. When an NOC is required in respect of an other state vehicle ?

    NOC is required to be produced:

    1. When you want to obtain Karnataka Registration Mark

    2. When transfer of ownership is to be recorded in the certificate of Registration.

    7. I Could not obtain NOC at the time of shifing of my vehicle, I have paid tax, and obtained change of address in the certificate of registration in Karnataka , Is there a way to obtain NOC from previous registering authority ?

    Yes . You fill form CMVR 28 in quadruplicate with pencil print of the chassis no. on all the forms , and send form CMVR 28 in triplicate to the previous registering authority along with original registration certificate, Insurance, emission testing certificate BY RPAD. Keep the acknowledgement from the previous Registering authority for having received your application and the 4 th copy of NOC application safely . You will receive the NOC from the concerned Registering Authority.

    8. If I don’t Receive the NOC , What I have to do ?

    If you do not receive the NOC even after 30 days from the date of acknowledging your application, You can approach the RTO along with your 4 th copy of form CMVR 28 and acknowledgement and file a declaration giving details of your application for NOC and stating that

    “ Neither I have received any reply from the concerned RTO nor my application has been rejected by them” .

    In such cases Your application for Reassignment / Transfer of ownership will be considered.

    9. When should I obtain Karnataka Registration Mark?

    A Vehicle is not permitted to ply with other state registration mark beyond 11 months from the date of migration . So you should apply and obtain the Karnataka Registration mark before that period.

    10. What forms are to be filed for Change of Address ?

    Form CMVR 33, CMVR 27, KMVT 14 are to be filled up

    One photo has to be affixed on form CMVR 27 .

    11. What forms to be filed for Transfer of ownership ?

    Form CMVR 29 in duplicate , CMVR 30 , CMVR 27, KMVT 14 are to be filled up

    One photo has to be affixed on form CMVR 27 ..

    12. Should the Registered owner appear in person for change of address/ transfer of ownership in respect of an other state vehicle ?

    Yes, it is mandatory for the applicant to appear in person .

    13. Should the vehicle be produced for inspection for recording change of address/ transfer of ownership in respect of an other state vehicle ?

    Yes it is mandatory for the vehicle to be produced for inspection.

    14. How about the procedures?

    Refer procedures for details under change of address/transfer of ownership of other state vehicles .

    15. What is the procedure for obtaining Fitness Certificate for Transport Certificate ? For Transport Vehicle ? Renewal of Fitness Certificate.

    All transport vehicles shall carry valid fitness certificate to ply on road. The owner shall apply for issue of fitness certificate in form KMV 20 along with prescribed fee, Registration Certificate, Insurance Certificate, Tax Card, Pollution Under Control Certificate, Permit and produce the vehicle for inspection in a good condition. The Senior /Inspector of motor vehicle will inspect the vehicle particularly on following aspects:

    ·1. front axle and steering,

    ·2. front spring,

    ·3. fuel system,

    ·4. electric system,

    ·5. engine performance,

    ·6. silencer, transmission,

    ·7. rear springs

    ·8. tyres

    ·9. chasiss frame

    ·10. body

    ·11. brakes

    ·12. compulsory equipments

    ·13. requisite equipments

    ·14. cleanliness

    ·15. weighment of vehicle

    ·16. any other observations or defects worth mentioning.

    The validity of renewal of Fitness certificate is one year at a time.

  209. Venkatesh
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 9:45 am | Permalink | Reply

    Source –

  210. Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

    very useful info. vehicle purchased in india should be allowed to ride anywhere in india……….because of all these corruptions india will never improve

    thanks for sharing

One Trackback

  1. […] how to pay road tax for non karnataka vehicles September 2006 187 comments 3 […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: