ADOdb is a database abstraction library for PHP.
MySQL, PostgreSQL, Interbase, Firebird, Informix, Oracle, MS SQL, Foxpro, Access, ADO, Sybase, FrontBase, DB2, SAP DB, SQLite, Netezza, LDAP, and generic ODBC, ODBTP. The Sybase, Informix, FrontBase and PostgreSQL, Netezza, LDAP, ODBTP drivers are community contributions.
Some reasons why ADOdb is popular include:
- Designed for speed. It is probably the fastest open source database abstraction library available for PHP. See benchmarks.
- Provides extensive portability support such as date and type-handling and portable schema creation. See portable sql tips
- Support many enterprise features such as database backed sessions (with session expiry notification), SQL code generation, pivot tables, SELECT LIMIT emulation for all databases, performance monitoring.
- Easy to learn, especially if you have Window’s programming experience, as it uses many ADO conventions.
- Extensive QA, every release is unit-tested on Access, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, Oracle 9.
- Mature, continiously developed since August 2000. Has a large community of users.
- Very reasonable licensing terms (BSD). This means that you can incorporate (and even compile) it into your software applications royalty-free without asking the author’s permission, provided you include license.txt in your release. Also dual-licensed (Lesser GPL).
For full story read AdoDB Abstraction Library for PHP